Monday, October 12, 2009

Big Steps Forward

The cast is gone!!!! Yea! We are sooo happy! Brad spent the day at ACH with Cooper getting his cast removed & getting his leg brace. Cooper can put some weight on that leg now & hobble around. Longer distances still may require the walker or wheelchair, but I think this was a huge confidence booster for him.

Brad said Cooper was really baffled at why & how that 3 inch incision made it on his leg. He was really nervous about getting into the bathtub, but once he got in the 1/2 inch deep water & splashed some on his "bobo", he let me fill up the tub. He couldn't believe that it didn't hurt to get it wet. We were sooo happy to clean that boy up! When he got out of the bathtub & got his jammies & brace on he said, "look Brady, I can walk normal again"


Coop in bed (holding Camille-bear) about to go to sleep. Our next visit is Nov 2nd for xrays & until then he is supposed to wear brace around the clock. Then, maybe normal activities??? We will see.



This was one night this past weekend when Cooper could not fall asleep so we put him in our room to do the "late night" meds. He was so goofy & hyper (if you hadn't already noticed)



This is his lovely IV pump that we hook up to his PICC.






This is the lines all hooked up infusing. Still his only complaint is the yucky taste. Also, he is having poopy accidents b/c of all the antibiotics -- just breaks my heart b/c last night you could just tell it hurt his feelings & he said, "I'm sorry I keep having accidents" We are just trying to reassure him as much as possible.





Brady looking like such a big boy with Grandma. She was such a huge help, but I'm sure she was excited to get back home (even tho she hitched a ride to Louisiana in a fire truck--yes it is the truth & a great "you might be a redneck if" story) All joking aside, we will miss Grandma, but the upstairs is all cleaned & ready for Brad's mom (aka Nonna) tomorrow.

I think Brad & I are doing well but still anxious about this whole prolonged treatment program. We just want to do the right thing, but are concerned about three months of a central line & constant IV antibiotics. Just pray that with Cooper's increased mobility that his line stays secure & safe & doesn't get infected.

post signature

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Yea! Way to go Cooper!! Keep it up.